Travel Stipends for Leipzig Scholars
One may apply for monthly stipends, for varying numbers of months, depending upon the purpose of the visit. The amount awarded depends on the level of experience of the visitor, as we explain below.
Members of the FAGI philosophical community who are interested in applying for a doctoral or post-doctoral travel stipend should direct their questions and submit their applications to the following e-mail address: jconant [at] uchicago.edu
Travel Stipends for Leipzig Doctoral Students & Recent PhDs
Travel stipends for young scholars are funded at the following levels: (1) postdoctoral researchers (completed PhD required) receive a stipend of € 2650 per month; (2) doctoral students receive a stipend of € 1475 per month. The former must also apply for the formal status of visiting scholar at the University of Chicago, the latter for that of visiting graduate student.
The following are the six required elements of an application
- A letter of support from your dissertation supervisor, endorsing the proposed window of time for your stay as a visiting graduate student or visiting scholar at the University of Chicago.
- An up-to-date CV.
- A one-page, single-spaced personal statement outlining your philosophical interests and goals, and your reasons for wanting to pursue them at the partner institution in question.
- A recent publication or sample of your written work.
- A specification of when and for how long you would like to go to the partner institution as a visiting scholar.
- A specification of which events you plan on attending during your visit to that institution, as well as why it would be good for you to have the opportunity to do so.